Notification, insurance and reporting obligations

Residents taking a trip into the large protected areas and visitors planning to travel outside Management Area 10 must report their trip to The Governor of Svalbard no later than eight weeks before the planned trip. You must electronically report the number of days spent in the field to The Governor as soon as possible after the trip.

The Governor of Svalbard sets the requirements for what such a notification must contain. For a group trip, it is sufficient to send a joint notification form. The notification must be sent electronically.

If you are required to take out insurance, the letter of reply from The Governor of Svalbard will detail how much insurance you need to be able to complete the trip. The insurance must cover any searches, rescue operations and patient transport that may be necessary, regardless of whether negligence has been demonstrated. Ordinary travel insurance will not normally cover the costs of a search and rescue operation (SAR). Most people must therefore take out a new, separate insurance policy for such trips. Please note that the insurance must be valid for two weeks longer than the time you have planned to be on the trip. This is due to potential delays during the trip.