Visas and immigration

The Norwegian authorities do not require a visa for entry to Svalbard, but if you have a visa requirement to enter Norway/the Schengen area, you must have a visa if you travel via Norway/the Schengen Area on your way to or from Svalbard. It's important to ensure that you get a double-entry visa so you can return to the Schengen area (mainland Norway) after your stay in Svalbard.

Published 6/20/2019

Foreign nationals residing in Svalbard can submit applications for a visa for Norway/the Schengen area at The Governor of Svalbard. The Governor has the authority to make decisions in visa cases.

The Governor can provide advice and guidance with respect to questions concerning Norwegian immigration legislation. The Governor of Svalbard also accepts applications for residence and citizenship. These applications are forwarded to the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) for processing.

It is important to be aware that even if you come to Svalbard and take up residence here, this in itself does not entitle you to residence or citizenship in mainland Norway.

Opening hours

If you are on Svalbard and need a visa or help in immigration matters, please contact the Governor’s Office between 10:00 and 14:00 on Tuesdays and Fridays. Processing visa applications may take up to 14 days.

Moving to Svalbard