New procedures for alcohol cards

The Governor introduces new procedures for ordering alcohol purchase permits (so-called "alcohol cards") for new residents to Svalbard, with effect from 1 July 2023. The new procedures only apply to new residents, not to those who already have an alcohol card on 1 July 2023.

Published 6/28/2023

Until now, it has been the employer or place of study that has sent lists to the Governor of people who have moved to Svalbard and who are applying for an alcohol card. From and including 1 July 2023, it will be the individual new resident who must apply electronically for an alcohol card and who must attach proof of an employment contract, study certificate etc.

The form for applying for an alcohol card from 1 July 2023 can be found here:

Application for permit to buy alcohol

Note that this change does not affect those who are already permanent residents and have an alcohol card. At the turn of the year, those who are registered in the population register (permanent residents) will automatically be issued with an alcohol card that can be picked up at Nordpolet The procedure for applying for an alcohol card therefore applies to those who move to Svalbard during the calendar year.

About the alcohol card scheme

Persons entered in the register for the population of Svalbard (permanent residents) can request to be issued a purchase permit from the Governor (so-called "alcohol card"). Other more precisely defined groups, such as students with study places in Svalbard and other persons, can apply for an alcohol license if their stay in Svalbard has a duration of at least 90 days.

People who are not permanent residents or in one of the categories mentioned above are not granted an alcohol card. Acquisition of alcohol must therefore take place via presentation of a flight ticket at Nordpolet or bring alcohol for reasonable consumption when entering Svalbard.